Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Secret Life of Bees

Title: The Secret Lives of Bees
Directed by: Gina Prince-Bythewood
Starring: Queen Latifah, Dakota Fanning, Jennifer Hudson, Sophi Okonedo, Alicia Keys
Genres: Drama, and Adaptation
Running Time: 1 hour.50 minutes
Release Date: October 17th, 2008 (limited)
MPAA Rating: PG-13


Review: 'The Secret Life of Bees' came out quite a while ago, all the way back in mid-October. I meant to see it back then, but i did not get around to until yesterday. For those of you who've already seen it months ago, this review will be completely useless. But kudos to you for not missing out on a great film, and beating me to seeing it! And, in case you forgot all about this one, the DVD (released yesterday) would make a nice gift for a female in your life . And that is something, right(so maybe not completely useless...) ?
But if there is anyone still out there, who missed this film when it was new, then this review is for you.

Since October, I had sort of forgotten what 'The Secret Life of Bees' was all about, but as soon as it began I realized why I wanted to see it in the first place; its mainly female, absolutely brilliant cast! And they did not disappoint. Great performances throughout, and a great film.
It is one of those movies that tugs hard at your heartstrings, and might even trigger some tears [read: a lot of tears], but it leaves you uplifted at the end. Since I had forgot all about the premise of the film, it sort of caught me off guard when I was already tired, sick, and "soft", so before I knew it I was bawling my eyes out in front of the TV, but at the end it left me smiling, so I would not call it a depressing. I do recommend this film, but be aware that it is a total [old school style] chick-flick, and as such, should come with a bottle of wine, a box of tissues, and a gallon of Ben & Jerry's, and be watched with girl friend(s); not alone and mopey sans wine/ice cream.

Grade: 7.5

No comments:

Post a Comment