Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Rachel Getting Married

Title: Rachel Getting Married
Directed by: Johathan Demme
Starring: Anne Hathaway, Debra Winger, Bill Irwin, Tunde Adebimpe, Anna Deavere Smith
Genres: Drama
Running Time: 1 hour.51 minutes
Release Date: October 3rd, 2008 (limited)
MPAA Rating: R


Review: 'Rachel Getting Married' has been out for quite a while, but I missed it when it was new. I recently heard a lot of good things about Anne Hathaway's performance in this movie, which spurred me to see it. It is quite different from everything else I've seen her in, and yeah, she did a good job.
The whole film is shot in a way that made me feel I was watching a poorly edited, much too long, awkward home video from the absurd wedding of some random (and severely dysfunctional) strangers. It felt very real, uncomfortably so. It is a close-up, too real to not be real, film of about a wide range of family-related issues. It is so close-up you can see every pore. And that fact alone made me cringe and squirm in my seat. Easily, not a film for everyone, and not something you would see to be entertained.

Grade: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment