Sunday, May 31, 2009

Star Trek

Title: Star Strek
Directed by: J.J. Adams
Starring: Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, John Cho, Ben Cross, Bruce Greenwood
Genres: Action, Adventure, Science Fiction/Fantasy, Adaptation and Sequel
Running Time: 2 hour. 7 minutes
Release Date: May 7th, 2009
MPAA Rating: PG-13



Review: In retrospect, I don't know why I went to see this movie. I have never seen a Star Trek episode in my life, and what I know about Star Trek lore & history, I have learned from "Trekkie" ridicule in Star Wars-loving films, such as 'Fanboys'. To demonstrate how well my sources have educated me in the ways of the Trek, let me tell you this: I were honestly surprised when the characters did the "Spock-finger-splitting-greeting" and they did not say "Nano nano", like I, for some reason, expected them to. Clearly, I did not belong in that theater. So why go? What can I say? I was desperate. There has not been a good movie out in the theaters for what feels like ages, and it had a B+ rating. Yes, that is my defense.

But for all you Trekkies out there, looking for a review from someone who actually has a clue, this is not it. Please look elsewhere. This one is for all the clueless movie lovers.

So, how was it? Well, besides the [plentiful] inconsistencies in story line, crimes against science/logic (I know, I know... clearly, I mean, for being Sci-Fi), and some just plain silly/dumb details, is was exactly the summer blockbuster, razzle dazzle, shiny action flick I expected. If a popcorn action is what you are looking for, then this one is just as much explosive, mindless fun as any. Does it bring anything spectacular to the table for the uninitiated movie-watcher. Not really.

Grade: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment